Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Hobbies

Below are a few photo updates of my latest projects. I am pretty much finished with my t-shirt blanket. I sewed in a thin layer of padding and it is O So Comfy! I have a problem though...I can't get my cute hot pink edging on correctly. I don't know what is wrong. It got all crooked and messed up when I tried to sew it on. I love blankets with this edging. My favorite "blankie" as a kid has this kind of really soft edging and when I saw this hot pink stuff I had to have it. I may have to sew it on by hang but #1-it is a huge blanket and #2 it won't look as "professional." I put away the sewing machine because I was pretty frustrated. Not sure when I'll try again.


I finished the pillows for our living room as you can see below. I did four of the flowery pattern and two of the kind behind it. I think they look so good! They are by all means not perfect, but thhey are sooo much better than the others. I had a hard time sewing them together with the edging in between. A little uneven, but pretty nonetheless. :)
I made two of the brownish colored one below. They are rectangular. I really loved the fabric on this one. I found the red pillow fabric in some leftover stuff I had so I used the rest of it for the smaller pillows. I love the pop that it adds to the room. Much better than the old bland pillows that I had. The photo below shows my project on Monday! I cleared out this flower bed. This is in our front lawn. It was a long day of hard work, but so worth it. The bush type things in the middle are flowering white and they smell yummy! I love spring. There was a ton of ground cover taking everything over so I cleaned all of that out. I'm not sure what we'll add in here to add some color, but we'll see. I'm sore and sunburned, but it was so nice to be outside all day.

And finally...the growth of our garden!

BEFORE:

AFTER:
We've got a couple of banana peppers growing...

And the herbs in the big blue pot are taking on. The geraniums just bloomed and they're gorgeous!
I'm proud of all of the stuff I've gotten accomplished this month. It is so fun to watch all of my plants grow. It gives me hope for my own life that God will take nothing in me and make it something beautiful and alive.
Yesterday Cliff and I worked outside most of the day. It gave me an opportunity to meet my neighbor Barbara. I'd met her husband who is retired when we first moved in but never her. She was so sweet. She took me back in to her backyard and showed me her beautiful secret garden. There are plants everywhere! I learned that the spider wart plants in our front bed were given from her. They are such pretty plants with purple and white blooms. Apparently they multiply so I'll have more year after year. And they have a small garden in the alleyway so we plan to swap some produce as the summer goes on. I am so thankful to have finally talked with them. I can't remember his name: maybe Bob. I feel like I could run over there for help if I ever needed to. Also, we have some sweet neighbors on the other side of us, Arthur and Esther. He's a fireman so I feel pretty safe. He always stops and talks when we pass outside.
I'm heading to Georgia with Mom on Thursday. I'll be driving to Arlington early Thursday morning, then we fly out that afternoon. Emily Koen is getting married. Wow! So many memories have flooded me this week. I had such a charmed childhood with some amazing friends. It'll be awesome to hang with Murph and Emily and all of our Moms. I even hear I will get to see Laura Fillingim! Awesome!





1 comment:

The Dunton's said...

Your pillows and plants look great!
Did you try pinning the edging on a foot or so at a time? It might be hard also because the t-shirts are kinda stretchy... Bummer, I love the look of edging too!